This question was reopened on "English Language & Usage": https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/53683/synonyms-for-multiplexing-and-demultiplexing/

This question is related to something written in C#, but it can be answered by programmers familiar with any language, as the question pertains not to the code itself, but to naming of what the code does.

I posted a question on StackOverflow titled Multiplexing interface method calls into a single delegate and demultiplexing asking if anyone knows of any mechanism that will marshal interface method calls into invocations of a universal delegate (or single method interface) of the form object AnyCall( int method_selector, object[] arguments ) and marshal back from such invocations into the original interface method calls.

Since nothing suitable came up, I went ahead and I created such a mechanism. (If it is not clear to you what this mechanism does, please read the original question.) Then, I wrote a paper about this mechanism, which is almost ready, and I am about to publish it on CodeProject, but before I do that I need some help with my naming choices.

Naming is quite important to me, and I consider dictionary.com and thesaurus.com as programming tools, but sometimes help from native speakers is indispensable, especially when an attempt is being made to introduce a new concept, or to take an existing technique which had no special name assigned to it thus far, and give it a special name, thus promoting it to a concept.

  • I just acquired the privilege to add new tags, so I added "naming", "terminology" and "marshaling". I removed the "readability" and "style" tags, as they are not applicable. – Mike Nakis Dec 1 '11 at 5:47
  • 1
    Unless you had someone else write this question for you, I think you might just as well consider yourself a native speaker of English. For all intents and purposes your English seems perfect. – Igby Largeman Dec 6 '11 at 23:16
  • 1
    As for your question, I like "entwine", "untwine" and "intertwine", I think they sound cool, but I'm not sure that they're quite right for what you're doing. They bring to my mind images of "twisting" two or more things together, since that's what entwine actually means. – Igby Largeman Dec 6 '11 at 23:21
  • Thank you very much for your response, @Charles. I am taking notice of your comment and hoping that there will be more answers. At the same time, I am looking for better names. – Mike Nakis Dec 7 '11 at 6:58
  • 1
    @MikeNakis Apperently the folks over at English Language & Usage Stack Exchange don't mind naming questions on cs topics. You could try there too, with a somewhat different version of your question (I'm not 100% certain what they feel is on topic)... – yannis Dec 26 '11 at 10:45

fusion and fission?

fusion: the process of combining multiple elements into one. i.e. nuclear fusion.

fission: the process of breaking a single element into more basic parts. i.e. nuclear fission.

I like it because programmers are usually sci-fi nerds who already know what it means, it both connotes and denotes what you seem to be doing, and because there will be little doubt between cultures what you mean.

                name of action   name of performer   verb
marshaling:     fusion           fusor               fuse
unmarshaling:   fission          fissional/reactor?  fission

Another option may be coupling and decoupling.

  • I like it, there's an established practice of borrowing terminology from math, natural sciences and engineering disciplines. I wouldn't go as far as calling fusion and fission as more recognizable as scifi terms than as physics terms, but as a scifi nerd myself I do agree that they are immediately recognizable. But coupling I don't like, I don't really think what op describes fits entirely within the generic definition of coupling – yannis Dec 21 '11 at 3:59
  • The problem with fusion and fission is that they do not inflect very well. How would you call the objects that perform fusion and fission? A fuser and a fisser? And how do you make verbs out of them so as to name the methods? Fuse and fiss? – Mike Nakis Dec 21 '11 at 9:14
  • I do not like coupling and decoupling because it already means other things. – Mike Nakis Dec 21 '11 at 9:14
  • @MikeNakis Actually an object that perform fusion would be called a fusor. The verb is indeed fuse. As for fission, apparently it works as a verb and its objects could be called fissional and/or fissile - Yeap, ugly :) – yannis Dec 21 '11 at 10:45
  • @Yannis, I think fusor would work fine for the Fusing object name. w.r.t fissile, there has to be something better. – Jonathan Henson Dec 21 '11 at 15:44

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.