I am part of a team of seven developers in a small software company and I am trying to introduce regular group code and design reviews. We have carried out some reviews in the past, but it has been sporadic. I would like to make it a more regular thing.
I have read Code Complete and other similar resources and they talk about the mechanics of how to carry out code reviews but I have been unable to find any best practices on how to choose what to review. We have a code base that is more than eight years old and covering a variety of languages, so there is plenty that could be looked at.
Here are some of the factors that I can think of that might affect the choice:
- Language: C, Java, SQL, PL/SQL
- Code age: New code vs old code
- Code usage: Frequently used code vs (effectively) dead/little used code
- Code importance: Critical code vs non-critical code
- Developer: Junior developer code vs Senior developer code
I understand that this isn't a question with an absolute definitive answer, but any guidance would be useful.
Some peripherally related questions: