My project is currently suffering from environment naming issues. Different people have different assumptions as to what environments should be named or what the names designate, and it's causing confusion when discussing them. I've done a bit of research and I haven't found any standards out there.
The terms include "Local", "Sand", "Dev", "Test", "User", "QA", "Staging" and "Prod" (plus a few more that different people have asked about)
I'm not looking for just opinions, though if there's one out there that "everyone" has I'll take it - I'm trying to find definitions advanced by some sort of authority, even if it's unofficial.
Here's the environments we currently use:
- Environment on the developer's PC
- Shared Environment where developers directly upload code to self-test
- Shared Environment where standards and functionality are tested by QA people
- Shared Environment where completed and QA-checked code is approved by project requesters
- Environment that mirrors the final environment as a final check and to prepare for deployment
- Final Environment where code is in use
I know what I'd call them, but is there some sort of standard on this? Thanks in advance.