I switched to C++ a few months ago, learning its syntax, the main features of the STL and what you can usually find in a "learn C++" manual.
Now I would like to go further. What would be your recommendations? I would like to know what to learn next (not only about the language, but also debugging, frameworks etc. etc.) I know probably the answer depends on the specific needs of each user, so here is a list of mine:
- Cross Platform development
- Developing GUI for my programs
- Develop extendible software, allowing the use of plugins
- Use of scientific libraries
- Interact with databases (mainly MySQL)
- Having server/client functionalities (I'd like users of my programs to interact through internet.. as you might have guessed I am not a programmer by training so I might have used the wrong terms.. if so I apologize for that).
Of course I know it takes time, but I would like to have a good list of references and resources to start (both books and websites are ok).
Thanks a lot for your help!