I love gaming, I love games that allow modding and I love linux. But the fact that most games right now are targeted for windows (consoles aside), most mods and modding tools are also targeted for windows. There is a certain modder called Boris Vorontsov that makes a famous visual overhaul mod series called ENB.

What he does (or I think he does) is he enhances or changes the behavior of classes defined in the d3d9.dll library. Needless to say it almost never works under wine.

Recently I have asked him if he would ever release his version of the library under some open license, and he said "no". Now that I think of it, even if he did release his code, he would have surely faced some legal problems.

Now there is my question. Is it legal and ethical to reverse engineer his version of the library to adapt the wine's open source version of d3d9.dll to be able to run his mods?

closed as off-topic by gnat, user53019, jwenting, Ampt, Bart van Ingen Schenau Jun 17 '14 at 9:44

  • This question does not appear to be about software engineering within the scope defined in the help center.
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 2
    Not worth an answer, but the word Copyright comes to mind... – Andrew Nov 14 '12 at 9:24
  • 5
    This question appears to be off-topic because it is about a question of legalities (off topic) and ethics (primarily opinion). – user40980 Jun 7 '14 at 2:06

Legal? -> ask a lawyer. Anyway, this depends strongly on the country you distribute your adaptation.

Ethical? -> ask the authors. All of them. Some may see this as a tribute, others as a robbery.

  • I guess you're right. I think I'm being confused by the nature of the software I'm looking at. I'm pretty sure it's a copyright infringement to use Direct3D libraries this way, but nevertheless, it's a huge amount of work. – Igor Zinov'yev Nov 14 '12 at 10:00
  • If you need to do so in order to use a work you lawfully possess, I don't see any ethical problem. It's not robbery to use a work you lawfully possess. – David Schwartz Nov 14 '12 at 13:00

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.