Lest's say I have user stories about using product catalog in shop:
- As an administrator I can add/modify/delete catalog items (one or more user story, doesn't matter here)
- As a customer I can search product catalog
- As a customer I can view product details
Each of this stories rely on predecessor: design and create database to store product information.
I can express db creation as:
- another story: As a shop owner I want to store information about products I sell
- Task to be done in story which will be firstly chosen to do
In first case I create story dependency, in second I wondering where estimate this additional task. Let's say it adds additional two story points. To which story should add this points? All (and re-estimate remaining stories in the future), none? I think that second option also can hinder estimation - I have to remember to add this story points to dependent stories and then possibly remove it.
How to deal with such situations?