I've been tasked to correct some issues on the backend of a large website project that has been outsourced for some time. The original developers and us are not on good terms so it's not feasible to get them involved.
The technology stack is as follows:
- MySQL 5.x
- PHP 5.3 (and a variety of supporting libraries)
- Apache with mod_rewrite
The problems I am facing are:
- No documentation, not even comments
- 4 index files in root, plus 2 main files in a combo of php and html and 1 default.php, the referenced index file in .htaccess references their local test server.
- Duplicate file names / files
- Atrocious file system layout ( ultiple js folders, multiple script folders etc )
- Reliance on original mysql functions ( not mysqli or PDO )
- multiple frameworks, JQuery, various marketplace API's etc.
It has been a highly frustrating several hours trying to sort out where to begin with this mess, let alone how to fix the items I need.
So my question is: What would be the best place to start or If this was dropped on your lap, how would you approach it?
I know this is subjective, and opinions are what I am looking for, so any advice is appreciated.