Does the web industry have any standard or common name that refers specifically to web applications that don't use the conventional window-HTTP-navigation model, instead relying on mostly or wholly on DOM manipulation?
These applications usually have the following attributes:
- load an application frame from the server once (or infrequently)
- use a combination of Ajax requests, DOM modifications and history manipulation (via web fragment or
pushState) to change state after that (while preserving reloadability)
- do not typically trigger new conventional location bar navigation events (window- or frame-level HTTP requests)
- most likely, present UIs that are highly interactive with a combination of dialog boxes, overlay layers, infinite scrolling, etc.
Popular counterexamples, still relying mostly on traditional models
- YouTube (some navigation is done this way, but not enough)
I'm interested in names for this type of web application specifically. It feels like something I must have heard already, but I can't think of anything specifically.
These seem too broad:
- Web application (could mean anything)
- AJAX application (could mean anything)