Is there a common and accepted term for the manual tests done by programmers or users on software in lieu of or in addition to automated testing? For example, in a progression as follows:
- "Desk Test" for the non-automated testing a programmer does while writing code.
- "Unit Test" for an automated test for a particular class/method/function.
- "Integration Test" for an automated test of multiple components working together.
- "System Test" or "Acceptance Test" for application-wide tests that would be meaningful in conversation with the end user.
- "User Test", for when we hand it to the user and ask them to find bugs.
Are there better terms for #1 ("Desk Test") and #5 ("User Test")?
(And I know that TDD would say write #2 before #1... but making that point is exactly why I want to know the right word for #1.)