Say I have a software project for which the technical documentation should include
- A license document
- A list of used terminology
- An introduction about what the software does
- A short quick-start guide
- Complete documentation of tools covered by the project
- Documentation of file formats and protocols
- An API Reference
- A list of known bugs
- A todo list
- A set of examples
What is a good order of these points?
How can these points be organized into chapters, sections, subsections, and subsubsections?
One of the tools has an hierarchical configuration structure. Should this structure be represented in the documentation outline (this will result in a really deep outline) or should it be flatted in some way?