I use mainly PHP for web development, but recently, I started thinking about using Google App Engine. It doesn't use PHP which I am already familiar with, so there will be a steeper learning curve. Probably using Python/Django. But I think it maybe worthwhile. Some advantages I see:
- Focus on App/Development. No need to setup/maintain server ... no more server configs
- Scales automatically
- Pay for what you use. Free for low usage
- Reliable, it's Google after all
Some concerns though:
- Does database with no joins pose a problem for those who used App Engine before?
- Do I have to upload to Google just to test? Will it be slow compared to testing locally?
What are your thoughts and opinions? Why would you use or not use App Engine?