I'm developing open source software for about ten years. Now I rebuild my main product into a professional version. I think for it as a successor of the freeware version which is more or less legacy now.
I want to implement the following licensing model:
- After downloading the software to work in Trial Mode with full functionality for a limited period of time (30 days)
- After the trial period has expired, the program will switch to Free Mode with reduced functionality.
- After a purchasing of a license, all features will be unlocked
There will be one program (not separate freeware and a professional).
My questions and doubts are:
- What is the licensing type (for the download servers) Freeware or Shareware or...
- How to announce the program on my website? Can I announce it as a Freeware?
Do you have any advises or recommendations on that business model?