If I have a bunch of nodes with differing numbers of inputs, but only one output, and each output can go to multiple inputs, but only one output per input; what do I call it?

Trying to name a class to represent the whole thing.

enter image description here

Assuming n1 produces a value, it flows to n2 and n3 which might perform different operations on that value, and then it continues until n5 uses two inputs to produce a final value.

closed as unclear what you're asking by Robert Harvey, Bart van Ingen Schenau, user53019, user40980, user22815 Nov 8 '15 at 17:19

Please clarify your specific problem or add additional details to highlight exactly what you need. As it's currently written, it’s hard to tell exactly what you're asking. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 2
    Looks like a state machine or possibly a workflow, but without more information about your particular application, it's kinda hard to tell. Rather than asking us for a name, why don't you tell us about the problem you're trying to solve. Maybe we can solve it. – Robert Harvey Nov 8 '15 at 5:51
  • 1
    You have "nodes with ... only one output" and "n1 ... flows to n2 and n3" (two outputs). Please clarify. – Lawrence Nov 8 '15 at 6:33

This might be too general for what you're looking for, but it sounds like a kind of directed graph.

  • Yeah... because there's a piece of data from one end that goes through to the other... it makes it sort of like a neural network too right? – NeomerArcana Nov 8 '15 at 5:11
  • Similar to how a program traverses a graph of states during execution, you can think of this graph's nodes as being containers for operations and those nodes are traversed by the data. You might prefer to call this a Network to distinguish it from a purely data-containing data structure. Certainly, there are similarities to neural networks if you think of the inputs as being levels of activation. DirectedNetwork, or DataFlowNetwork perhaps? Obviously, I can't think of a precise name for you, but there are some suggestions. – krallus Nov 8 '15 at 5:43
  • DirectedNetwork sounds pretty good actually. Ta – NeomerArcana Nov 8 '15 at 9:06

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.