I have a “whiteboard” question. Technically I’d like to ask you about one thing I’m not sure in my design, but if you have time for a quick review the rest of the design - that’d be great. Every tip matters to me. So…
I’m working on a simple game, turned-based (not an action game). Something like chess. For the client, I want to use Xamarin.Forms to deploy it on every mobile platform. It will be clients-server game, so I have to create a server to manage pairing players requesting to find an opponent online.
The communication between clients, will be though the server using WCF with netTcp protocol (SOAP). I want to use callbacks, to keep connection with the client. SOAP protocol has it by default in WCF.
All in all:
- Client(s) - in C# and Xamarin.Forms, using PCL lib. iOS, Android and Win Mobile
- Server - ?????, hosting WCF service.
- Communication - WCF
The questions are:
- What type of application should be a server? Where should I host my WCF services? Windows Service running on Windows Server?
- Should I host them in IIS?
- Where would you recommend me to deploy my server? Like a regular Windows host? Cloud?
I have totally no experience with such a project. As client seems pretty straight forward (deploy it to the store), the server app is more complicated. The app itself is pretty easy - I already wrote it as a windows service, but I was just curious how it’s done in production…
Thanks for any advice