I have to design a Stock-Keeping Unit (SKU) for my downloaded products and I am looking for any advice on how to choose a standard.
More specifically, I would like to know:
- Are there any character limitations, or could I use unicode in my sku?
- Could I use Linebreaks or Tabs in my sku?
- Should I bother with bar codes on downloaded products?
- Are bar codes outdated?
- Are there performance considerations from a database standpoint if I were to choose a long sku as opposed to a short sku?
- How Human Readable should I make my sku?
- Is it better if it can be easily interpreted by a customer, or is that a security risk?
- Are there any industry standards or common practices to abide by?