I am looking for a way for providing customers with hot-fixes and patches of my product.
The patch could contain one or more hot-fixes, and customer should be able to check/uncheck any of hot-fix(es) from a list during the update installation.
Every hot-fix may contain operations like:
- Add/Remove/Replace file
- Start/stop service(s)
- SQL scripts to run
- Delete/Write/Update registry entries
- Update configuration file(s)
There are several options how it could be done:
- Get all the hot-fix content compressed within zip and provide it to the customer with appropriate instructions how to install it. This is not an option, cause installation engineer needed and even makes very bad impression about the product.
- Create installer using some Windows Installer based technology (Wix, for example). Takes ages to create a simple installer, requires deep and strong knowledge of Wix framework, etc.
- Use Wix Creating patches feature, which basically compares two MSIs and creates new one with content which differs. Looks acceptable and promising, but seems like cannot detect changes in SQL scripts, registry keys, etc.
- Use 3rd party tool. I have not managed to find any appropriate tool, which can simplify the hot-fix creation process, and I am not going to ask for one, since I know this would be off-topic on this site, but I would like to mention this option for completeness.
- Write brand new tool which will help to build hot-fix MSI. Still believe that some better approach already exists, cause it is wide spread task to create a patch or hotfix.