The release method I am talking about is this:
- Release code that works with both old and new clients (forwards and backwards compatible)
- Release client that only works with the new code released in step 1
- Release code that removes the backwards compatibility that was supported in step 1
- Add new stored procedure that has modified signature
- Add new code that uses new stored procedure
- Remove old stored procedure
On a larger scale this could also refer to deprecating versions of internal APIs.
Is there a general name for this chain of releases? If not can we coin a term for this so I can stop calling it "That 3-step release thing that we need to do"