We have created an LMS using Angular JS 1, Python(Django ) API and mongoDB as a database. Now we want to extend the LMS to make it a job portal. We have decided to create another front end project and keep the database as same. We decided to change the front end as we want to create the new project in Angular 5 and get rid of Angular JS 1 eventually.
My doubt is regarding the service which we wrote in Python. We have api.applicationname.com as the service. Shall we create a completely new project for the service ? ie A new git repository and a new URL. Or shall we edit/add to the existing git repository and the service URL? I am seeing the following advantages for using the same old services project.
- We don't need to create another git repository and project tracking will be easy.
- We don't have to rewrite the login APIs or reusing the existing APIs will be quite easy as it will be a single project. I understand that even if we are creating a new service, we can still call the old service. But is there any advantage of doing like that other than asking the developer to remember another API and I am afraid that as different people will be working on different projects, there are high chances that developers will end up writing the services again.
Currently we have 611 services in the current python project.
- If we add more services to it, will it be too complex ?
- Will it be too heavy for nginx to handle?
- Is there any other factor that we need to consider while taking this decision?
- Will there be any performance issue if we add a lot more services to the existing project?
If I have missed any major points, please let me know that as well. Thank you.
Please note that the question is not about using different framework in one project or front end and back end in one project. Same framework and technology is used. Just that we are extending it with additional functionalities.