When we start a new project with scrum with estimate user stories with points. These points mean we are busy in the sprint.
Now there is work to do initially at project start like:
- Create git repo with user/permissions
- Deployment to different environments like integration, test,staging,production
- Creating project template -- with setting up dependencies -- with configuring compressing, debugging, committing code etc...
- and much more...
To get the first user story out and show it on our preview system to the e.g. stakeholder we have to do lots of work.
The first user story would effectively take lets say 8 points. But with all that ramp up time we probably need an extra sprint just for the initial task :-)
How do you deal with that in scrum?
- Estimate the first user story with 8 + 32 = 40 points?
- Tell the PO that that dev team needs an extra sprint?