Let's say I have the following function (in JavaScript, for sake of example):

function foo() {
  var bar = function () {return 'lol';}
  return bar;

This function returns other functions. I had the misconception that this was called a generator, but on reading around, that's something different entirely. Googling this question didn't give me anything useful.

So, what do I call a function that creates functions?

  • 7
    "Higher order function" – Fabio Sep 10 '18 at 3:54
  • 1
    A higher order function is a function that takes a function as an argument, or returns a function – Fabio Sep 10 '18 at 3:55
  • 1
    I call them funky funcs. – RibaldEddie Sep 10 '18 at 6:41
  • I think Fabio is right, but he forgot to add the Wikipedia link where he cited from. – Doc Brown Sep 10 '18 at 6:45
  • 1
    I think RibaldEddie is probably right, but the more common term is "Higher order function", as Fabio stated. – neilsimp1 Sep 10 '18 at 12:15

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.