Does anyone know a term for these kind of user interfaces? Some examples:

  • old BIOS menu of PCs

  • safeboot menu of windows

  • other old MSDOS applications running on fullscreen using "keyboard navigating menus" (like accounting softwares).

What is the technical term for such types of interfaces? This could be helpful when searching on google (keywords) for information on writing such applications.

  • I took the freedom and edited your question heavily. Please double check if I got your intentions right.
    – Doc Brown
    Commented Nov 22, 2018 at 18:32
  • Yes, it is now perfect. And very helpful.
    – Sam Gallon
    Commented Nov 22, 2018 at 18:40

1 Answer 1


The term you are looking for is Text-based user interface (TUI). Wikipedia has also some links to libraries which can be used to create such interfaces.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.