I'm looking for some sort of standardisation, in a similar vein as POSIX for compatibility and familiarity between different commandline-interfaces, but for error reporting. Notably, I'm looking for:
- formatting rules
- standardisation of logging practices
- rules for error code choice
- good habits on how much, and what to include in your error report to the user
- design decisions on providing additional metadata on the state of the software, should the user wish to see it or report it.
- multi-language support (i18n)