I used to work for teams that built software as a service applications. Our requirements, regarding production, were often the same :
- A complex service (web application, database, daemons, typically) to be continuously available.
- Bugs to be corrected in fast cycles (and to do so, full specification of production bugs).
In order to do so we often built continuous delivery effort, as well as monitoring system around the application. Monitoring usually involved :
- System and application performance metrics sent to a database elsewhere
- Stack traces and error codes caught and handled by Sentry or similar
- External alerts designed to catch massive failures
Once we got there, regarding our requirements are the production logs of any further help ?
If so, what kind of useful information contained in them do we expect them to hold ?