I am developing an architecture for a new MVC system. The legacy system has a layer it calls "facade", but it is not the classic GoF Facade. It is more like a service aggregator. It is used as a convenience layer to call multiple services, aggregate/munge the responses into the response it needs, and then returns that response to the controller.

What should I name this layer? Some possible ideas are:

  • facade (yuck...might cause ambiguity)
  • aggregate/aggregator
  • collector

Any other thoughts? Thanks!!

1 Answer 1


Your layer is indeed not a classical GoF since it orchestrates requests in the subsystem and aggregates responses. It is not either a remote facade.

This kind of layer is called Service layer in Martin Fowler's view of application architecture, especially if it is meant to encapsulate the domain model.

In the microservice architecture, your component would probably called an API gateway:

Some requests are simply proxied/routed to the appropriate service. It handles other requests by fanning out to multiple services.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.