I have a classic BI environment with Reporting at the end. My boss wants me to analyse use cases and documents those and for this he wants me to develop a process how to proceed.
It's about migrating an old BI environment to a new environment. I thought about this now nearly 2 weeks and what I would do is the following
- Identify with the businesses the high level use cases which are currently implemented
- Prioritize them
- Ask business for a detailed description
- Ask business for the reports for this use case
- Look into reports for KPIs
- Look into reports for the data where it comes from
- Document the data sources (dwh) and a short description
- Try to find out where those data is coming from (the originally comes from) for or in ETL processes
- Document all these information in on single document for later use case based migration
Is this a correct way? Is there any blue print on use-case analysis process for BI?