I have to replace an old application (Database, C++ UI) which is mainly for data administration, with on a new application (Same Database, Spring-Boot, Angular).
We want to document how the application (the old and the new) handles every attribute. That is:
- Name of the attribute
- Type of the attribute
- Location in UI
- Location in Database
- Optional / Must
- ...some more meta..
I see some big problems with this task. As
- The documention is never complete
- The documention is redundant and gets old/wrong
- It is a lot of work (software archiology)
Could someone please give me advice for my questions:
- Which format or kind of tool should I use (no specific tool recommendation expected, I know this would be off-topic here)?
- When to start or stop documenting?
- How can I prevent the documentation getting outdated?
If anybody has experience with this kind of task I would very much appreciate any advice. Thanks