What would you call this type of specialty? Is "Microsoft Developer" misleading?

  • 1
    Also, on a note unrelated to my answer - is there any reason your are specializing "exclusively in Microsoft programming languages"? It seems to me that you might be limiting yourself.
    – Craige
    Feb 17, 2011 at 17:13
  • Please note that C# isn't only available on Microsoft. See Mono
    – Jetti
    Feb 17, 2011 at 20:39
  • 3
    Blinkered? Monocultural?
    – Ant
    Feb 17, 2011 at 20:46
  • Borrowed from "In the Heat of the Night" sequel, they call him "Mr. Soft!" though I'd imagine there may be a few other movie references one could combine to form various puns here. ;)
    – JB King
    Feb 17, 2011 at 21:33
  • 1
    It depends on whether you're trying to inform, denigrate, obfuscate, or market.
    – JasonTrue
    Feb 17, 2011 at 23:49

9 Answers 9


I call them a programmer.

...but that's just me.

I don't think you can call someone a Microsoft developer just because they choose the Microsoft stack. Just the same, I wouldn't call anybody an Oracle(company) developer, because they use Java and Oracle(database) (or MySQL).

When suffixing a title with developer, it is usually extremely specific.


  • C# Developer
  • Java Developer
  • Ruby Developer

and even...

  • RoR developer
  • .NET developer

As C# is part of the .Net framework, you could call someone who develops using C# a ".Net developer", Microsoft developer is not that misleading, but it's too general

  • He specifically mentions T-SQL, which is independent of .NET. Feb 13, 2011 at 19:42
  • T-SQL is really knowledge that part and parcel of a developer. I would say either C# Developer, or if ASP.NET is included, an ASP.NET Developer Feb 17, 2011 at 17:02

I don't know how to develop in "Microsoft". I do know how to develop in C# and T-SQL, as those are languages. However, calling yourself a Microsoft Developer is pretty generic unless you know how to develop using all Microsoft languages / technologies. Are you also a:

  • C++ developer
  • BizTalk developer
  • MS Access developer
  • SharePoint developer
  • SSIS developer

There are a lot of different kinds of "developers" in the Microsoft stack. Be specific. If you know C# and T-SQL, you're a .NET developer. T-SQL is pretty much a given for .NET developers, but be sure to list it on your resume.


"Using the Microsoft stack" is usually how I'd describe my specialty where I'm used to using IIS, ASP.Net, Visual Studio, Sitecore and MS-SQL Server as some of the tools in my toolbox for web development stuff.


Microsoft developer sounds like someone working for MS (at least to me). So yes, it is misleading, and you definitely can't deduce MS developer -> C# developer, so why would you call them that?


I would call them Microsoft-Fanboy!

  • 12
    Completely ridiculous.
    – Jay
    Feb 17, 2011 at 21:34

I call them a developer-specializing-exclusively-in-microsoft-programming-languages-like-T-SQL-and-C#.


I wouldn't say Microsoft Developer is misleading, but just calling them a

  • Software Developer
  • Programmer
  • Software Engineer

  • C# Developer

  • .Net Developer

is better term.


Example: MSDN - Microsoft Developer Network It's a network for Microsoft Developers, so I think your expression should be fine.

  • 2
    I would say the MSDN is Microsoft's Developer Network, rather than the Microsoft Developer Network. Calling yourself a "Microsoft Developer" leaves room for people to misunderstand
    – TZHX
    Feb 13, 2011 at 19:38